Jefferson County Candidate Survey Full Text, 2014
On the past fiscal year, the Jefferson County Commission has created a $3.9 Million deficit. Through spending cuts they have reduced the budget gap but still must either cut spending or increase taxes and fees $1.4 Million to continue operating past May of this year. Will you support an effort to cut county spending rather than raising taxes and fees?.
1) Will you support an effort to cut county spending?
2) Will you oppose all tax hikes, new fees or fee increases?
Jefferson County is blessed with many local produce and dairy farmers that are hampered by overburdened regulations, harming not only the producers, but hampering economic growth in our County.
3) Will you support an effort to reduce regulations on small farmers and producers?
The West Virginia Department of Education has adopted the “Common Core” Standards. Opposition to “Common Core” is growing because of concerns over the data base that can track our children, and concerns that this program exerts Federal control over the curriculum in our local schools combined with the increased cost to local school systems.
4) Will you support efforts to eliminate “Common Core” in our Schools and return the control of our children’s education to the County and the parents?
The 4th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution protects citizens from unreasonable search and seizures. This year, law enforcement is on pace to nationally execute 50,000 “no knock” warrants, which allow a law enforcement officer to enter a property without immediate prior notification of the residents, such as by knocking or ringing a doorbell. The use of no-knock warrant has increased over 2000% since 1981. Over this time period, 47 innocent people have been killed, and criminals have taken to shouting “police” when engaged in home invasions in order to avoid resistance from the homeowner.
5) Will you support the prohibition of “no knock” warrants in Jefferson County?
Through the use of “eminent domain” local and state governments have seized private property from landowners, to transfer that property to private interests for the “common good”, in clear violation of property rights.
6) Will you oppose any effort to use eminent domain to seize private property for the use of private interests?
County Governments across America are banning the use of aerial drones for surveillance without a warrant. These unwarranted searches are in clear violation of the 4th Amendment.
7) Will you support legislation to end the use of aerial drone surveillance without a warrant in Jefferson County?Audit the Federal Reserve?
There has been a discussion regarding the legalization of speed cameras in West Virginia. As shown in many studies, the use of speed cameras does not promote safety, but more often than not are used as a source of revenue for local governments.
8) Will you oppose any efforts to install speed cameras in Jefferson County?